Contributing to Status
Core contributor standards
One of the ways People Ops can support reaching our broader organisational goals is by providing frameworks and support to make sure that core contributors are adhering to certain standards in the delivery of their services and/or projects. This is useful for Status and the core contributor to ensure the overarching product and strategy goals are met.
Our aim is to normalise (self-)evaluations and talk about what’s good and what requires improvement on a continuous basis. Lattice is our performance management platform across Status. It is widely used for mid & end of trial, mid & end of year, as well as ongoing feedback.
What we expect
- We expect you to show us you can prioritise correctly, get things done, and find answers in an increasingly autonomous way. In most projects, there will be a first project scoped out for you. Regardless of that being the case, make sure you ask your lead where you can start, clarify expectations for your role, or seek feedback on how you're doing, early and regularly.
- We expect you to be accountable for your goals and deadlines. We don't micromanage - if by any chance you realise you're stuck, make sure to flag it and discuss within your project and project lead whether or not it would be best to change course.
- We don't see each other much, and written communication is what we see the most from each other. We'd like for everyone to be clear, friendly, and helpful to everyone else. Great communication is key!
- Given that Status is a highly distributed organisation, working with core contributors across multiple time zones and with minimal physical collaboration, we expect a consistent and high volume of communication to keep your fellow core contributors updated on your progress to ensure that the projects can efficiently be coordinated and delivered in the appropriate time frames. There's no expectation that you reply to each ping immediately. Do your work and avoid interruptions while checking your messages at least a couple of times a day. If you know you won't have time to look into something right away, let the other party know when they can expect to have an answer to organise their work efficiently.
- Everyone should contribute to the products and our culture. If you see anything that can be improved and have an idea to make it better, bring it up! If you see that a fellow core contributor is stuck, offer to help or ping someone who can. We're all in the same boat trying to achieve the same goals so let's help each other!
- Read this article.It gives a sense of what qualities Status expects of the core contributors.
- For those less experienced in the blockchain/crypto space - jump in and immerse yourself in the ecosystem and get to understand our principles and mission better. This is a big topic, and we don't expect everyone to become an expert. Still, we would be super impressed to see that you're committed to continuously learning and developing your knowledge.
- Try to model our principles in all that you do at Status.
- In order to help with what behaviours create value, here you can see a Status-specific list of value-creating behaviours and some examples in which they could manifest.